as of Nov 10 -
click image to make your donation today!
Support Piece by Piece
Dec 1 2015
Piece by Piece joins the #GivingSoCal Movement with a pitch to support Skid Row residents working to build marketable skills in on their road to becoming a Piece by Piece Artisan.
Learning & Earnings For Residents of Skid Row
A resident of supportive housing in Skid Row attended his first Piece by Piece workshop mid-2015 because he had heard that refreshments were provided. He began learning mosaic art, attending multiple sessions to complete his first project, taking much pride in what he had created! He has shared that for the past year he had a hard time leaving his room, but with attending Piece by Piece he has found motivation to make an appointment to get dentures, has reconnected with family, and is currently applying for jobs. The road ahead also holds the potential of gaining Artisan-level skills and earnings as a Piece by Piece Artisan. Multiple paths have opened with the support of an encouraging Piece by Piece community.
With weekly workshops reaching 250,
Piece by Piece participants are hard at work learning mosaic skills and achieving benchmarks to improved wellness, skill and job opportunity
we look to raise $1,000 this #GivingTuesday, to fund nutritious snacks for Residents of Skid Row attending Piece by Piece workshops at Star Apartments.
Piece by Piece Artisans, all low-income residents of Skid Row and South Los Angeles, produced a stunning portfolio of mosaic works in 2015 and fulfilled orders for high-quality, handcrafted mosaics, generating earnings of more than $60,000! Workshops reach 250 residents annually. Earnings among 30 Artisans significantly enhanced their housing stability, financial independence and quality of life, mediating challenges that have contributed to the condition of homelessness.
Help feed our hungry participants! Workshops held weekly at Star Apartments in Skid Row feature a noon break with nutritious snacks.
#GivingTuesday is the nation’s most popular day for giving back.
What is the #GivingSoCal Movement!
In response to the focus on Black Friday consumerism, #GivingTuesday is a global movement that celebrates the work that organizations are doing and encourages people to contribute. Millions of dollars are raised for great causes when people come together for this national day of giving - an estimated $45.68 million in 2014.
What is #GivingSocal?
#GivingSocal is Southern California’s #GivingTuesday movement. Working in collaboration with Crowdrise, the Center for Nonprofit Management is helping local nonprofits use this national day of giving to connect to donors, old and new.
In addition, Channels 2, 5, and 9 have agreed to support the campaign over Thanksgiving by sharing news stories and — with the support of our Mayor and production support by Time/Warner Cable — PSAs to encourage people to give to a cause they care about.
How do I help?
- Support Piece by Piece fundraising project on the #GivingSoCal platform at www.crowdrise.com/GivingSoCal.
- Employer Match Contributions accepted! Nov 17 through Dec 15, Double the Donation with your employer's matching gift. Throughout this 4-week period a tool listing employers offering its matching gift will be active on our How You Can Help page.
- Ask your network to help Piece by Piece raise money - simply provide the GivingSoCal link to the Piece by Piece project page via email or via social media outlet of your choice.
- Consider setting up your own #GivingSoCal page supporting the Piece by Piece Project. (Click Join A Team and indicate Piece by Piece upon set-up)
- Over Thanksgiving weekend, CNM media partners will spread the word and catch the attention of millions of reviewers, listeners, and readers – all potential donors.
Piece by Piece will spread the word through email blast and via our social media networks.
#GivingSoCal is a quick campaign that has the potential to bring dollars and attention to Piece by Piece before the end of the year because of #GivingTuesday’s place on the national stage.