Year in Review - 2022
New and returning artists, and new certified artists - We are beyond grateful for the wonderful community of participant artists in our classes and workshops. It is truly a collaborative, welcoming and safe space where so much more than art happens! This year we welcomed many new participant artists and Hector became our first certified artist since Covid! Congrats Hector!
Staff growth - Piece by Piece has been able to expand our social enterprise since moving into our studio space. As a result of this and the increased demand for classes and workshops, Piece by Piece welcomed new staff members to fill new roles including Social Enterprise Operations Manager - Jadie Delgado, Program Assistant - Tasha Pimental, and Operations Manager - Josh Provost.
Commissions - The Piece by Piece Social Enterprise had an incredible year and made some truly beautiful mosaics. Some highlights include:
- 200 W. Ocean - Piece by Piece had the good fortune to work with architect Hai Lin to create a unique piece of artwork for the spa and pool area of 200 Ocean Apartments in Long Beach.
- The Brilliance of Community - Our team was proud to create this unique mural for an active community/senior center in the city of Paramount.
- The Sarah Carpenter Memorial Gardens - The Piece by Piece artist team recently completed a series of California Native mosaic butterflies for the Dr. Carpenter Memorial Garden, in honor of the late Dr. Sarah Carpenter, who was an inspiration as both a leader and a physician at the Sandy Segal Youth Health Center.
- Metro - Piece by Piece is honored to be working with Metro to design a mosaic mural that will honor a section of the National Veterans Mural by artist and U.S. Navy veteran Peter Stewart, originally dedicated in 1995, a portion of which will be decommissioned during the construction of the future Westwood/VA Hospital Station.
- Urban Orchard - The Trust for Public Land commissioned Piece by Piece to work on a 50 ft mural that will be installed in early 2023 in the City of South Gate.
Immersive Van Gogh - Thanks to our partnership with Lighthouse ArtSpace, Piece by Piece mosaic art is for sale in the beautiful Immersive gift shop. Frames, votives, plaques, and ornaments are all featured. Each item is created by Piece by Piece participant artists in our social enterprise. Lighthouse Art Space also generously donated tickets to Immersive Van Gogh, Immersive Frida, and Immersive Nutcracker for Piece by Piece participant artists to experience their amazing shows.
Skid Row Arts Alliance - The Skid Row Arts Alliance is a consortium of artist-driven arts organizations, comprised of people living and working in Skid Row, working to create art and community in Skid Row. Piece by Piece is one of four member organizations along with Urban Voices, Los Angeles Poverty Department, and Street Symphony. This year we have continued and amplified our support of this vital collaboration.
Advisory Board - The Piece by Piece Advisory board was active this year providing suggestions, ideas and resources to the staff and board of directors. Comprised of artists, instructors, and participants the advisory board is vital part of our process to create programming that is meaningful to those we serve. This year the advisory board advocated for additional classes, more outreach and additional sales opportunities - all of which were implemented.
- Monica Currie Johnson - Slate and Portraits
- Ellen Dinerman - Micro Mosaics and the healing power of words
- Julie Williams - Spheres and weather landscapes
- Kelley Knickerbocker - Calm to Chaos
Community Events - After a two plus year break due to COVID, everyone at Piece by Piece was excited to get back to community events. Some of the events we attended included: “Come Together” innerCity Arts, Sugar Hill Arts Festival, Bike and Art in the Park, 13th Festival for all Skid Row Artists, LA Law Library Pro Bono Week, New You Resource Fair, Walk United LA, and Urban Voices “A Holiday Called Home”.
Pop-up sales - We were all excited to sell the participant artists' works at a variety of pop-up sales this year. Some of the places Piece by Piece artists’ work was featured include: Metamorphosis and shopping days at our studios, Walk United LA, Leo Beak Temple’s Holiday Boutique, 444 S. Flower Holiday Pop-up, Universal Studios holiday pop-up, York Blvd. Art Market, and the Sisterhood Artisan Fair.
Moment to Moment Show - What an incredible way to end the year. Artist Laura Letchinger is exhibiting over 20 paintings, most of which is new work, and she has once again invited Piece by Piece to display mosaics as her special guest at her show at Loiter Gallery in Long Beach. Not only do Piece by Piece artists have an opportunity to sell their work through the gallery, but Laura is also donating a portion of her proceeds to Piece by Piece!
Read More Blog Posts
As we head in to 2023, we wanted to take a minute to look back at 2022, and all that was accomplished at Piece by Piece. Thank you for your ongoing support, none of this would have happened without your investment in the Piece by Piece mission.
Kelley Knickerbocker returned to Piece by Piece to work with participant artists to practice using a variety of materials, creating a piece that flowed from a quiet, regular layout to having a more vibrant energy.
In November, artist Instructor Ellen Dinerman offered a unique take on our books theme. She challenged Piece by Piece artists in a series of workshops that studied the history and development of type and typefaces, and also examined unique techniques used to create lettering in mosaic